How to get Colombia Business Visa in 2022
The Colombia Business Visa has two levels of investments you may make to obtain a visa. The lower level investment will get you a 1-3 year Migrant Colombian Business Owner visa, while a larger investment will get you the Colombian business investor or investment visa. 100 minimum salaries, (100 million pesos) will get you the Migrant visa, while 650 minimum salaries (650 millon pesos) will get you a Permament Residency visa. The investment visa is easy to obtain provided that you fulfill all the requirements.
The investment visa was previously known as TP-7 visa and was divided into two categories. The TP-7 visa was a temporary visa and the resident investor visa also known as RE visa was a permanent resident visa. The RE visa required a large investment in local real estate or business.
In December 2017, Colombia changed its visa laws. Now, the TP-7 visa is known as migrant (M) visa of category 6 (M-6) for investment in a business or category 10 (M-10) for investment in a property. The RE visa is now known as resident (R) visa.
The Colombian business visa (M-6) is also known as the Colombian Business Owner visa. It is valid for up to three years. Even though these visas allow multiple entries into Colombia, they lose their validity if you stay out of Colombia for more than six months consecutively. The cost of visa application for M-6 is $282.
The resident (R) visa which requires a large investment either in business or property is valid for five years. You can enter or leave Colombia as many times as you like on this visa. But you cannot stay out of Colombia for more than two year consecutively if you have a resident visa. If you do, then you will lose this resident visa. The government fee of visa application for resident (R) visas is $443.
Related Topics of Interest for You:
What Are Types Of Colombia Business Visa?
Colombia business visa is divided into migrant and resident categories of visas. As a business investor, you have a few different ways you can invest in Colombia and qualify for a visa.
A. Colombia Business Visa as a Visitor.
The Colombia Business Visitors Visa is designed for persons who need to startup a company and do banking transactions, conduct business meetings, or manage satellite companies in Colombia.
B. Colombia Business Visa as a Migrant.
Invest in a corporation at 100 * Min Salary = COP $100,000,000 Pesos ($25,000 USD) Qualifies for a 1 to 3 years temporary residency Visa – M – Business Owners Visa (Previously TP7)
C. Colombia Business Visa as a Resident.
Invest in a corporation by buying shares at 650 * Min salary = COP $650,000,000 Pesos ($162,500 USD) Qualifies for a 5 year full residency Visa – R Investors Visa
What Documents Are Required For Colombia Business Visa?
The documents required for Colombia investor or investment visa depend on the type of investment and the amount of investment. Here is a general list of required documents for all types of investor visa
- Passport Photocopy: A photocopy of the first page of your valid passport showing your biographical data. The photocopy can be either in color or black and white.
- Proof of Legal Entry: A photocopy of the page of your passport showing last stamp of entry or departure of Colombia.
- Photocopy of Previously Issued Visa: If you’ve had a previous Colombian visa such as a student or retirement visa, then a photocopy of this visa.
- Passport photo: Passport style face photo with a white background, sized at 3 cm width X 4 cm height, maximum size of 300 kb jpg file for online application.
In addition to the list of documents mentioned above, you need to have the following documents depending on the type of investment visa.
- A letter of request which includes the company name, address and Tax Identification Number (NIT) of the commercial company incorporated or the company in which the investment was made.
- In the case of joint-stock companies, participation in the company shall be certified by a certificate of share composition subscribed to by a public accountant, indicating the amount of capital or assets registered and paid for by the foreigner who applies for the visa, which not less than the equivalent of 100 times the Colombian minimum monthly salary.
- Certificate of opening a bank account in the name of the company.
- Support for the entry into Colombia of the total amount of capital that appears as paid at the Chamber of Commerce.
- Foreign exchange declaration form F4.
- Certificate of foreign investment issued by the Banco de la República.
- Certificate of share composition made by an accountant.
- Photocopy of cedula of the accountant.
- Photocopy of the professional card of the accountant.
- Current certificate of the disciplinary background of the accountant
- Bank statements of the last 6 months in the name of the company (only in case the company is not newly formed).
- Last income statement in the name of the company (applies only to companies with more than 1 year of incorporation).
How to Apply for Colombia Business Visa?
There are two ways to apply for Colombian Business Visa.
Applying for investment visa from abroad
A visa applicant who wishes to invest in Colombia can apply for a Colombia investment visa online. In addition, any Colombian visa can be obtained at any Colombian consulate around the world. In the U.S., Colombia has consulates located in the following cities and states:
The Colombian visa application process is fairly easy as it can be completed entirely online. You can apply for a Colombia investment visa online Tramites Visa . This application will require scanned copies of all required documents in Adobe PDF format along with your passport photo in JPEG format. In addition, a detailed guide for applying online can be found here.
If you are in another country outside of Colombia, then you have to go to nearby Colombian consulate in that country so that you can get the visa added to your passport at a Colombian consulate. Once your Colombian investment visa has been approved and added to your passport, you are ready to travel to Colombia as a migrant and a investor.
Applying for Tourist or Visitor visa from Colombia
Once you receive online visa approval, if doing this in Colombia, you need to travel to Bogotá to get the visa in your passport. Visas in Colombia are issued at the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores office in Bogotá. Their office is located at Avenida 19 # 98-03, Torre 100 Building, 3rd Floor. It’s open from 7:30 am until noon.
The major challenge with getting a Colombian visa yourself is dealing with a government bureaucracy, making a trip to Bogota and not understanding the laws properly if you are not fluent in Sanish.
This is where you can benefit from the services of an experienced visa agency such as Visas by James. A visa agency such ours is your best bet when it comes to obtaining visa for you. An experienced visa agency which has processed hundreds of visas and knows exactly what is needed for each type of visa is exactly what you need.
Another big benefit of using a visa agency is that they offer services to courier your passport to Bogotá to get the visa put in your passport. So, you can avoid a trip to Bogotá. The cost of a visa service including the service to courier your passport to Bogotá can even be cheaper than the cost of a trip to Bogotá.
About Visas By James
Since 2005, our visa agency Visas by James has obtained hundreds of visas for foreigners who wish to study, work, invest, and live in Colombia. We are the oldest expat visa business in Colombia. We also have more attorneys in office than any other visa agency in Colombia. In addition to our visa services we offer a full range of legal and accounting services to our clients. By having a legal and accounting firm work on your application, we are able to handle any surprises or last minute requests by immigration officials.
Visa by James Story:
James Lindzey the owner of Visas by James has worked as a private investigator and paralegal in the United States from the 90s until he moved to Colombia in 2005. James arrived in Colombia in 2005 and started doing visas for expats in 2007.
In addition to our visa services our agency offers a full range of legal and accounting services to our clients. We are able to assist better in document collection services in the United States because of James legal experience in the United States.
About Our Visa Services
We can guie you through the most Complicated Immigration Situations. Our aim is to make life easier for expatriates in Colombia!
We monitor your visa application process .
Please let us know if you need more information, or we can set up a consultation in order to provided you personalized guide.
Our main office is located in Medellin, Colombia near Parque Lleras in El Poblado. We have representation in Bogota, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale. Our main office address is Cra 39#5A-95, Oficina 709, Edificio Avangarde. We accept walk in appointments but its always nice if you can let us know ahead of time so we can schedule a time. Areas codes in Colombia have changed. To reach our office please call (57) 604-444-6634.