Colombia Visa Application Freeze September 17
Some Visas As of this Saturday, September 17th, new Colombian Online visa applications will not be accepted for many Colombian visa types until October 21. A new rule on visas will become active (Ministry of Foreign Relations Resolution 5477 of July 22, 2022). This rule will imply changes in the category of various types of visas and will require adjustments in Colombian Visa Application System.
In other words the ministry of foreign relations and consulates of Colombia will freeze applications of many visas!
Many visas will have new requirements and many will be downgraded to visitor or migrant visa categorie. Due to these changes the government decided to not accept applications for the affected visas.
Technically some visas will continue to move forward with the application process. Applications in the system will continue to be processed.
Remember that it is the obligation of foreigners to remain legal in Colombian territory REGARDLESS OF THE SYSTEM GOING OFFLINE. Visa application system going offline starting 17 of September, until October 22, 2022.
See Below for affected visas…
Related Topics of Interest for You:
ue to implementation of new visa rules the NICE PEOPLE at the government visa offices decided to stop receiving applications 1 month prior to the new rules going into effect. They are saying so they can update their visa platform.
The following visas will no longer be accepted until after the Oct 22 implementation of the new visa resolution 5077. Visas not listed below will have until September 30th. Be advised that the Colombian ministry computer system is likely to have problems. Marriage, Company owner, and the Visitor student visas are a few of the popular visas expected to be online until September 30th, 2022.
Visas Affected by Freeze for 17th of September are:
Related Articles of Interest: Colombia Visas
Annuity Visa (Rentista Downgrading to Visitor)
The Rentista Visa or Annuity visa has been downgraded from Migrant M category to Visitor V category.
With this new change in visa category comes new set of requirements or new rules which are the following:
- Besides annuity income, rentista visa applicants can demonstrate income via rental income received from properties located in Colombia.
- According to new rules, the maximum validity of the visa is up to two years.
- Applicants need to submit criminal background certificate. This certificate can be issued in Colombia or in country of current or prior residence.
Parent Visa RE (Resident - Downgrading to Migrant)
Under the new rules, the parent visa is being downgraded from Resident R visa to Migrant M visa. Here are the new rules:
- Foreign applicants can still apply for a parent of a Colombian national migrant M visa which will allow them to apply for residency after 2 years.
- Visa applicant will need to show that they can support themselves while in the country via bank statements and other financial documentation.
Partner Visa M (Civil Union Downgrading)
The new rules change the duration of civil marriage visa and common law marriage visa. Here are the new changes.
Civil Marriage Visa
- Civil Marriage Visa holders now need to wait 3 years before applying for residency visa, previously it was only 2 years.
Common Law Marriage Visa
- Common Law Marriage is now required and must be completed at least 1 year prior to visa application.
- Partner M Visas for common law marriages are valid for up to 1 year, which means that visa holders would need to reapply for the same visa at least 4 times prior to applying for residency visa.
- Marriage Visa holders now have to wait a full 5 years to apply for residency, previously it was only 2 years.
Investor RE (Downgrading to Migrant Visa)
Previously, an applicant could obtain a resident visa for foreign direct investment over 650 times the local minimum wage. Not any more. The New rules eliminate this visa type of resident visa. Foreign applicants can still apply for a property owner Migrant M visa which will eventually allow them to apply for resident visa after 5 years. This migrant M visa can now be obtained after you make an investment that is 350 times the local minimum wage.
Pension Visa (Adding new Requirements)
The most popular visa, the retirement or pension visa has new set of rules which are the following:
- New rules will apply to certain applicants who may be eligible to apply for this retirement visa type will only be able to apply for a Visitors Rentista Visa.
- A mental and physical fitness certificate is required that will prove that applicants especially veterans are not suffering from mental, health issues such as PTSD.
- Criminal background certificate either from Colombia or country of prior residence is required.
- Requires a proof of health insurance.
Please note that pension letters such as social security letters don’t come from Embassy anymore. These letters are now accepted only if they are notarized and have an apostille.
Student M Visa (Spanish Class Visas should not be affected)
The new set of rules eliminates Student M visa and replaces it with Visitor V visa. Please note that taking Spanish language classes will not be affected by this visa change.
- Foreign applicants can still apply for student visitors visa for primary education, post primary university education and beyond
- Applicant can take in-person or virtual classes.
- An applicant can also submit beneficiary visa application if the applicant is engaged in post-graduate coursework
- The applicant must show evidence that he or she receives income equal to or greater than 10 times the local minimum wage
Religious M (Downgrading to Visitor Visa)
The scope of this visa is to work in the exercise of the religious ministry or to work as a missionary of a religious entity, duly recognized by the Colombian State. Specific requirements:
- Those established in article 32 of this Resolution 5477.
- Certificate of recognition and legal representation of the respective religious organization issued by the Ministry of the Interior or by the competent Diocese or Archdiocese. For other religious organizations. The Visa and Immigration Authority will consult its recognition and legal representation in the Public Registry of Religious Entities of the Ministry. In the event that it is not possible to make such a query, it will require the interested party to provide it.
- Motivated letter from the legal representative of the religious organization informing that the applicant belongs to its hierarchy, stating the type of bond or employment contract, purpose and foreign activities planned in Colombia and in which it is responsible for social security and foreign health coverage;
- The requesting entity or organization must certify economic solvency through bank statements with an average of one hundred (100) current legal minimum wages corresponding to the sets (6) months prior to the request.
Validity: Up to two (2) years. Beneficiaries: This visa allows its main holder to request a visa for beneficiaries.
Restrictions: The work permit granted in this capacity will be governed by article 16 of this resolution and is restricted to the activity registered and authorized in the visa.
Colombian Consulates in The United States
Click the name of the Colombian consulate closest to you to get permission for the next flight. If you have problems communicating with the consulate and you would like help please let us know. We charge a small fee for assisting with documents and forms in Spanish.
Websites of Interest Related to this Subject
Visas By James
Since 2005, our visa agency Visas by James has obtained hundreds of visas for foreigners who wish to study, work, invest, and live in Colombia. We are the oldest expat visa business in Colombia. We also have more attorneys in office than any other visa agency in Colombia. In addition to our visa services we offer a full range of legal and accounting services to our clients. By having a legal and accounting firm work on your application, we are able to handle any surprises or last minute requests by immigration officials.
James Lindzey the owner of Visas by James has worked as a private investigator and paralegal in the United States from the 90s until he moved to Colombia in 2005. James arrived in Colombia in 2005 and started doing visas for expats in 2007.
In addition to our visa services our agency offers a full range of legal and accounting services to our clients. We are able to assist better in document collection services in the United States because of James legal experience in the United States.
Many visas require obtaining complicated documents in the United States or Canada. Just another reason why you should choose our firm.
We organize your immigration profile so that your Colombian visa application is successful.
Please let us know if you need more information, or we can set up a consultation in order to provided you personalized guide.
Our office ours are from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, and 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Saturday. Our main office is located in Medellin, Colombia near Parque Lleras in El Poblado. We have representation in Bogota, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale. Our main office address is Cra 39#5A-95, Oficina 709, Edificio Avangarde. We accept walk in appointments but its always nice if you can let us know ahead of time so we can schedule a time.